Section 9 CarpentryCon
CarpentryCon is the key community building and networking event in the Carpentries’ annual calendar.
The inaugural 2018 CarpentryCon was held from 30 May - 1 June at University College, Dublin.
The theme of CarpentryCon 2018 was Building Locally, Connecting Globally.
- Summary of event by Belinda Weaver.
- Thoughts on community after CarpentryCon](https://carpentries.org/blog/2018/06/value-of-community/) by Toby Hodges.
- African Task Force response to CarpentryCon
- Carpentries in Latin America response to CarpentryCon
- CarpentryCon photo streamby Bérénice Batut
- Tweets from CarpentryCon - a summary provided by Francois Michonneau
9.1 Purpose and Scope of CarpentryCon
- Community Building: bring together members of the Carpentry community, including instructors, partners, advocates, and staff, together with people sharing similar interests from around the globe. We had a “come and learn” format that is different from most conferences.
- Sharing Knowledge: The event included sessions on teaching methods, curriculum development, community organization, and leadership skills.
- Networking: Opportunities were provided for participants to come together informally to share stories about challenges and successes.
- Contributed talks/posters: There was a poster session where attendees shared how they have incorporated Carpentry techniques into their own research and teaching, and/or how they have grown their local Carpentry community. This was crucial as presenting was a requirement for attendees who sought travel support from their home institution.